Thursday 16 December 2010

A woman’s right to shopping - New York

I have actually been to New York twice in my short life, and this city has so much to offer. Shopping is one thing and the possibilities are endless. Both of the times that I was there I found a few places that I thought the shopping potential were quite good, so I thought I’d share them here with you. So these are my personal top four shopping places in New York, with a little fun story on the end.

Macy’s
Macy’s is a very popular shopping destination in New York, and it was a must-go-shopping-there for me both of the times I’ve been to NY. It is located at Herald Square, which is between 34th and 35th on Broadway. You simply cannot miss it. They have nine floors with absolutely everything for everyone. What I found very impressing was the extensive sales and impressive array of merchandise. When I was there last December they were actually open 24 hours the days before Christmas. So if you’re looking for a great place to shop, Macy’s the place.

Century 21
This is perhaps one of New York’s best kept secrets. Here they have designer items in good prices and it is not too good to be true. It is located on Cortland Street by Ground Zero and it has four floors of goodies. When I was there just before Christmas it was extremely busy, but I guess it’s busy almost all the time because of the low prices. But it is definitely worth visiting, especially if you’re already down town.


Niketown
Niketown is the perfect store to visit if you’re a professional athlete or just working out for fun. There are five floors where you can find all sorts of outfits for your training, so be prepared to spend a couple of hours here. It is located on 6th East 57th Street, which is close to the famous Plaza hotel and 5th Avenue. I bought some running shoes here for a much lower price than in Norway, so if you’re looking for something like this then Niketown’s the place. It is actually cheaper in New York than in Norway.


Bloomingdales

Bloomingdales are well known for their small, medium and big “Brown Bags” and is a popular shopping destination for many New York visitors. It is located on 59th Street and Lexington, which is the biggest Bloomingdales in New York. You can also find a smaller one in Soho. It’s a rather famous luxurious shopping centre and definitely worth visiting.




A little shopping story
Johanne and I had a very interesting shopping experience while we were in New York last Christmas. We were walking down 5th Avenue when we came across the store Juicy Couture. We decided to go inside and have a look and Johanne ended up falling completely in love with a pair of gorgeous boots. They were a bit expensive, but when you fall in love then it’s meant to be. She asked one of the sales ladies if they had the boots in her size and she told her that they had one pair left. But unfortunately Johanne could not buy them because they had an orange sticker on them. This was according to the sales lady and we thought this was very strange as they lost some money by saying this. We asked why Johanne could not buy them because of the orange sticker, and the lady told us that she wasn’t allowed to sell them and her manager wasn’t there so she could ask him either. So I guess what I’m saying here is that if you’re shopping in America you should be prepared to meet some weird salespeople. We were a bit stunned about this episode as it was all quite bizarre, but it made a great story. 

Sources
Macy’s: http://gonyc.about.com/od/shopping/p/macys.htm and my own experiences
Century 21: http://www.c21stores.com/ and my own experiences
Nike Town: http://nymag.com/listings/stores/niketown_new_york/ and my own experiences
Bloomingdales: http://gonyc.about.com/od/shopping/p/bloomingdales.htm and my own experiences
Pictures: http://www.frugalcouponliving.com/2010/11/24/macys-black-friday-deals-2/, http://www.davidbarretthomes.com/contact_us, http://katiemacdougall.wordpress.com/category/brands/, http://photosfromnewyork.com/q/bloomingdales+new+york+city/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time ♥ Your comments put a big smile on my face and I read and respond to every single one of them ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...