Sunday 13 March 2011

Tate Modern & Millennium Bridge

Kjell Steinar and I decided to experience something new about London yesterday and we ended up at Tate Modern, a modern art gallery that is the most-visited art gallery in the world. About 4.7 million people visits it every year where they can observe the famous art dating back to the early 1900’s with their own eyes.

We travelled on the Central Line on the London Underground in order to get to Tate Modern and came to find that the closest tube stop was St. Paul’s. It is then only a short walk to the gallery and you get to cross the famous Millennium Bridge. Entry is free except for major exhibitions and it is open every day.

Source
I honestly have to admit that I don’t really know much about art, so I didn’t know what to look for in the gallery and how to take it all in. Kjell Steinar and I were walking around for a while and the only artist we had heard of was Picasso. He had a few paintings there on level three that were interesting; Nude, green leaves and bust and the three dancers are a couple of the paintings that were there. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the gallery so I’m afraid I don’t have any personal photos to show for, but the photo I have here is from Google.

Like I said, I don’t know much about art so it wasn’t really that interesting for me to visit Tate Modern. But there were a lot of people there and as it is a very popular I’m assuming it is a very good and interesting gallery for people who know art. So if you’re an art person then I would recommend visiting Tate Modern.

Millennium Bridge is right next to Tate Modern and it is a steel suspension bridge for pedestrians crossing the River Thames. The bridge was opened in 2000 but closed again after a few days. People who were walking on this bridge said that they felt some uncomfortable swaying motion and the bridge was closed for another two years while modifications were made to eliminate the wobbly entirely. The nickname for this bridge is now Wobbly Bridge.

9 comments:

  1. I really wanna go there! I want to hear more about this when I get back:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visit my blog.
    it was my first time in Venezia...it was amazing...i wish i can come back :)


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have to admit, I do not know a lot about art either, but I can appreciate a nice painting, or a good statue.

    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your comment on my last post, it surely is beautiful.

    Have a lovely week.
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome! sounds like it is a must visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment love :) That bridge looks so neat! I love it.

    Have a good week x

    myheartstumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post!
    I'd love to visit the Tate someday!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited Tate and the bridge when I was there. I'm don't have a lot of knowledge about art either, but when I feel a piece, then I'm happy! I remember one piece there, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. But some of the pieces were kinda crazy. Did you see the huge spider?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Looks awesome! I want to go there one day!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    http://fashuhneestah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comewhinewithme - I will tell you everything on our date next week, can't wait to see you again =)

    M - Looks like you had a good time, and thanks for visiting my blog =)

    Sexylegsandbody - I don't think you have to know alot about art in order to appreciate a beautiful painting =)

    Susan - It really is a must visit for people who are interested in art =)

    Kristy - Thanks for the comment and for visiting my blog =) Have a good week.

    Couture Carrie - Thank you, you should visit the Tate someday =)

    Christianna - That is so fun that you've been there. I agree, some of the pieces were kind of crazy but I guess that's just fun. And no, I did not see the huge spider, thank god!! I can't stand spiders, I'm terrified of them.

    Roxy Heart - Then you should, and thanks for visiting my blog =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time ♥ Your comments put a big smile on my face and I read and respond to every single one of them ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...