Monday 3 January 2011

Oppdal, Norway

 
Like I said a couple of days ago, I spent some of my Christmas with Kjell Steinar and his wonderful family in Oppdal. I had a great time, and time sure flew by fast. There is so much to do here, both during summer and winter, so I thought I’d share some of my winter experiences with you.

Oppdal is a municipality in Sør-Trøndelag County here in Norway. From Trondheim, which is the third largest city in Norway, it is about a two hour drive to this winter wonderland. The mountains are breathtaking and you simply cannot wait to go out in the cold weather and explore the nature. Because it is cold in Oppdal, as the climate is harsh even by Norwegian standards. But with warm clothes, especially items made out of wool (wool is the best you can wear to keep warm) you’re set.

A lot of people are visiting Oppdal because it is one of the best places in Norway to go down-hill skiing. Slalom is a very popular winter sport in Norway and Oppdal has four mountains with several possibilities to try this trendy sport. You don’t have to be a professional to enjoy it. I haven’t tried slalom in years but this winter I did and I had not forgotten how to do it. It is just like riding a bicycle. It is a bit expensive, but in my opinion it is worth it.

If you are not a fan of going down hill fast, then perhaps cross-country skiing is something to try. You can also do that in Oppdal and the possibilities are endless. Norway is well known for its professional skiers and quite a few of them are from Trondheim. It is the perfect way to spend the day. Pack a bag with something warm to drink and a lovely lunch and you are guaranteed to have fun. You don’t have to ski far or fast, but just enjoy the nature and the company.

I hope this has inspired someone to visit Norway and Oppdal, as I truly recommend this place. You can rent a cabin or a hotel room while you’re staying here and truly experience the wonder that is Norwegian winter and nature. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to go to Oppdal as it is close to my home town, because Oppdal has over the past year become my new favourite place in Norway. 

All of the pictures are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time ♥ Your comments put a big smile on my face and I read and respond to every single one of them ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...